Flagstaff Hill Lookout is approximately 2 kms from the centre of town towards Skipton on the Glenelg Highway. Many a wonderful photographs can be taken from this scenic view.
The town is surrounded by bush that can inspire the gold fossikers and mountain bike riders. Late in the afternoon you are sure to see Kangaroo bounding across your path.
Mortchup Reservoir is situated on the Rail Trail some 500 metres on the Ballarat side of Linton.
Mortchup Road Reservoir
Edinburgh Reserve is located a short walk from the Cafe and local Hotel. A beautiful place to sit and relax.
Located about 2kms north of the town, a plaque unveiled in 1991 commemorates the site of the original gold diggings, dating from 1855, in the surrounding hills and gullies.
Nearby is the cemetery, surveyed in 1861, which has a significant number of Chinese graves in its northern section. In 2007, the Linton and District Historical Society unveiled a memorial to the Chinese buried there who came to Linton in search of gold.
The general cemetery has a Chinese burial section with the Cemetery Trust Records Showing 75 burials. In 2007 the Linton and District Historical Society installed a rememberance plaque in honour of the Chinese who searched for gold in the mid 1800s.
Open Days are on the second Sunday of each month (except January, July, & August), 2-5pm.
We are always keen to have new members and the active interest and participation of our existing ones.
Linton and District Historical Society
69 Sussex St
Meetings are held on the third Sunday of the month, except January, July and August, at the Letty Armstrong Resource Centre 71 Sussex Street Linton. These mostly take the form of ‘History Nights’ where there is a presentation and discussion of a particular historical topic, perhaps involving a speaker or the showing of a DVD.
The Rail Trail and bush tracks are often used for horse riding. A great day out exploring the Linton Surrounds.
Sites of Historical Significance
· Nimons Bridge is one of the largest timber trestle bridges in Victoria. It crosses the Woady Yaloak River and Newtown
· Cutting No. 18, located between Nimons Bridge and Happy Valley station ground is the largest cutting on the trail.
· Nintingbool Siding. This site was the original homestead of the original squatting station known as Nintingbool Run taken up in 1838
· Chinese Camp. The Chinese camp was located just past the Nintingbool Siding, place between line and Smythesdale
· Haddon Railway Station and Kopke Railway Station were once centres of large settlements in the gold mining era
177 Quilliams Rd, Carngham
|Insert Picture Here|